CHIEF ACCOUNTANT (1 POST)
Appointing Authority: Board of Directors
Employment Terms: Three years contract – Renewable
Responsible to: Finance Manager
Salary Scale: MWAUWASA’s Salary Scale of MAS 11 (Fixed)
Required minimum qualifications:
Possession of a Degree or advanced diploma in accountancy or equivalent; Possession of CPA (T) or equivalent or a Postgraduate Degree in finance; At least five years relevant working experience, three of which must be at a senior management position; Conversant with accounting computer packages and MS Excel; Age not exceeding 45 years.
Duties and responsibilities:
The Chief Accountant is the head of Accounts Section that is responsible for revenue and expenditure accounts. In particular, he/she:-
• Assists the Finance Manager in all control of financial affairs of the Authority.
• Ensures revenue collected is daily banked
• Ensures bank reconciliations are carried out regularly.
• Ensures books of accounts of the Authority are kept properly.
• Prepares and submits to the Finance Manager annual accounts of the Authority timely.
• Supervises preparation of management reports (monthly, quarterly, & ad hoc reports).
• Provides reports for assisting decisions in setting tariff and other management decisions.
• Formulates budget and costing systems.
• Facilitates the carrying out of internal and external audits and responds to financial queries accurately and timely.
• Supervises implementation of financial policies, systems and procedures set by the Authority.
• Supervises maintenance of fixed asset register of the Authority.
• Conducts training needs analysis and training programme for accounting staff.
• Supervises staff in Accounts Section and ensure proper job descriptions are allocated to them.
• Makes periodic performance evaluation and appraisal of the subordinates.
• Prepares variance analysis of all revenue & expenditure on monthly, quarterly and annual basis and advise Finance Manager accordingly.
• Produces guidelines for supervising the coordination and critical appraisal of the periodic operation and capital budgets prior to submission to the Finance Manager.
• Manages working capital and control cash flow of the Authority.
• Checks periodical financial reports and control of Revenue & Expenditure.
• Ensures that tax returns and other statutory deductions are submitted timely.
• Ensures accountable and valuable documents are kept secured.
• Performs any other duties as may be assigned by his/her superiors.
MODE OF APPLICATION
Apply in handwriting, enclosing a certified detailed CV, copies of relevant certificates and letters from 2 referees; telephone numbers and e-mail address so as to reach the undersigned not later than 4th September 2015. Applications should be sent to MWAUWASA as registered mails by postal office, EMS and DHL. Only short-listed applicants will be contacted. MWAUWASA is an equal opportunity employer. Leaving certificates and transcripts without degree or diploma certificates WILL NOT be accepted.
THE MANAGING DIRECTOR,
MWANZA URBAN WATER & SANITATION AUTHORITY,
P.O. BOX 317,