Consumer Planning Manager Job at Serengeti Breweries Ltd


Job Title:

Consumer Planning Manager 



Reports To:

Marketing Director 



Tanzania is the largest country in East Africa by geography and by population (approx 42m people, with a growth rate of 2.8%). It is a member of the East African Community whose headquarters is in Arusha in Tanzania. The largest population, however, is in Dar es Salaam, which is the commercial capital. Tanzania is well endowed agriculturally and has vast mineral resources in the western part of the country, where the largest urban centre is Mwanza.

Serengeti Breweries Ltd (SBL) operates exclusively in Tanzania and is the 2nd largest beer company with a market share of 27.9%. It is an integrated demand/supply business with 3 operational breweries in Dar and Mwanza, and a third one built in Moshi, which is situated in the northern part of the country near the Tanzanian border. SBL’s flagship brand is our award winning Premium Serengeti lager, the Serengeti Brand Portfolio accounts for 51% of beer sales volumes and 42% of total volumes for SBL.  The remaining 58%  comes from our East Africa Flagship beer brands (Tusker & Pilsner), other local beer brands (Kibo, Kick, Uhuru & Senator) and spirit brands (Johnnie Walker, Smirnoff, Baileys & Jebel)



To lead the consumer and market activities so as to avail the company with insights on market requirements /service gaps and business optimization opportunities and support the company’s forward planning processes. Manages the budgeting and compliance process within the marketing department.


Purpose of Role:

The Consumer Planning Manager to provide insights to the business to sharpen the plans and activities to support the team to deliver the overall company strategy. 
Market research and consumer insight generation:
  • Identifies gaps in consumer and retail information either directly or through liaison with team members and translates this into research projects.
  • Prepares research briefs for agencies
  • Instructs research agencies that handle consumer and retail research on behalf of the company and monitors their work to ensure compliance, timely, quality and on budget outputs.
  • Interprets research information and generates/compiles user friendly summary reports for internal use.
  • Disseminates market and consumer insights within the company
Market planning:
  • Manage and co-ordinate the preparation marketing plans for the company, ensuring that they comply with marketing strategy, policies and timelines.
  • Provide statistical support by way of information and data to the preparation of planning & business reviews.
  • Manage the analysis of performance data and disseminate the information to the commercial team and other internal users.

Inter-departmental coordination:
  • Work hand in hand with Legal & Finance to ensure the compliance agenda is being delivered  by providing relevant information and data
  • Share market and consumer research information with Sales, Finance & Supply to enable the functions’ to focus its business development activities and benefit from all available business building opportunities
  • Work closely with Finance in respect to budget tracking, variance analysis, etc.

Qualifications and Experience Required:

  • Bachelor's degree in business, or research –Masters degree in Business, Finance desirable
  • 4-5 proven successful years in Research or Monitoring and Evaluation and/or planning in a commercial setting
  • Strategic penetration, commercial exposure and understanding
  • IT literacy in Excel and Statistical analysis software
  • Strong interpersonal skills – able to manage cross functional projects and teams and execute them all well.
Consumer Planning Manager