Sauti Project is a new 5-year USAID-funded award being implementedby Jhpiego-Tanzania in collaboration with partners EngenderHealth, PACT and NIMR/Mwanza. The goal of Sauti Program is to contribute to the improved health of all Tanzanians through a sustained reduction in new HIV infections in support of the Government Tanzania through deploying new, and/or enhancing existing, vulnerability-tailored high-quality combination HIV prevention; positive health, dignity and prevention (PHDP); and family planning (FP) services for key and vulnerable populations (KVP) in selected regions of Tanzania.
The National Institute of Medical Research – Mwanza Medical Research Center (NIMR-Mwanza Center) as partner of the Sauti Program under Jhpiego has the following vacant positions in Mbeya, Iringa, Shinyanga and Dar es Salaam. ALL positions are for a contract of 45 days.
Position: Senior Research Fellow [Team leaders /supervisors] 1 position in each of the following regions - Mbeya, Iringa, Shinyanga and Dar es Salaam.
The senior research fellow is expected to have at least three years’ experience in leading qualitative research teams and conducting in-depth interviews and focus group discussions. S/he must be able to write field reports from qualitative research. The Senior Research Fellow (team supervisor) is responsible for overview and managing field work.
The following are specific roles of Senior Research Fellow:
- Responsible for day to day coordination of the field work activities including community engagement activities. This includes pre-field community mobilization visits, field logistics, field data collection, etc.
- Ensure that research fellow adhere to the approved standard operating procedures (SOP) including, recruitments of study participants, administration of information sheets and informed consent forms, and reporting of any adverse effect.
- Respond to any issues of concern from research fellow (interviewers) and study participants.
- Supervise administration of informed consents and ensure proper storage of dully filled informed consent forms. Thoroughly review of the completeness of the data collection forms following data collection exercise.
- Prepare the agenda and organize the weekly meeting for site research members assessing progress and challenges. Ensuring that all audio-files and completed data collection forms are submitted through the file transfer protocol as required on a timely manner.
- Report any protocol violation and report to the Co-PI or Lead Investigator as per protocol violation SOP. Prepare and submit weekly reports to NIMR /Co-PIs.
- Perform any other relevant duties assigned by the co investigators or lead researcher on behalf of the NIMR Mwanza Director.
- Resolve any disputes that may arise among team members (research fellows), report how disputes were settled.
- At least a Bachelor degree in social science [preferred BA in Sociology or Anthropology.] or equivalent level with proven research skills. Master’s degree will be an added advantage.
- Three years research experience preferably in conducting qualitative field studies, and preferably among socially marginalized groups.
- Proven experience and skills in supervising field research team.
- Ability to engage with community leaders, local government and program implementers, and stakeholders working with key populations.
- Readiness to work at nights, weekends or any other time convenient to the study participants. Excellent written and oral communication skills in English and Kiswahili.
Source Mkaguzi Blog
Research Fellow [Interviewers] 4 positions in each of the following regions - Mbeya, Iringa, Shinyanga and Dar es Salaam.
A research fellow is an experienced researcher with proven roles in conducting quality in-depth interviews, focus group discussions and writing field notes. S/he must be conversant with qualitative research, particularly IDI and participatory data collection methods such as Focus Group Discussions or Participatory Group Discussions (PGDs).
The specific roles of the research fellow will be to:
- Provide information to study participants regarding the study and answering all questions that participants may have before collecting data.
- Obtain an informed consent from interviewees prior to participation. Conduct in depth interviews with all eligible participants.
- Properly labelled audio-taped information as required by the lead researcher and timely submit to the team leaders all audio recorded data and duly filled data collection forms.
- Thoroughly check and remove any errors in labelling to avoid confusion prior to submission of data to the server through File Transmission Protocol [FTP).
- Write comprehensive field notes based on the interviews conducted. Attend meeting that will be organise by the supervisors and provide feedback on the fieldwork as required by the supervisor.
- Ensure that data collection tools and equipment are properly maintained /kept.
- Perform any other relevant duties assigned by the study lead on behalf of study Co-PIs or the Director of NIMR Mwanza.
- A minimum of Bachelor degree in social science [preferably BA in Sociology or Anthropology.]
- Two years research experience preferably someone who has participated in conducting qualitative research studies especially among socially marginalized groups.
- Ability to work effectively with minimal supervision, adhere to set priorities, standards and deadlines. Readiness to work at nights, weekends or any other time convenient to the study participants.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English and Kiswahili.
- Applications for senior research fellows and research fellows should include:
- Letter of application with details of how you meet the essential and desirable criteria and your reasons for wanting to apply for the post.
- A daytime mobile telephone number and e-mail contact details.
- Curriculum vitae (CV) including names and addresses of three referees (two must be from your most recent employers).
- Copies of all relevant certificates and qualifications must be enclosed.
Closing date for applications
- Applications received later than 24th January 2017 will not be considered.
- Shortlisted applicants will be informed by phone call for interview processes.
- Please not that priority will be given to those who have previous worked with NIMR or any other institutions of the Sauti consortium.
Mode of application:
If you feel you are the right candidate, apply in confidence, indicating the post you are applying for on top of the envelope/email subject and preferred region. All applications should be addressed to:
To apply please indicate the position title on the envelop/subject line of your e-mail. Applications should also include an up-to-date CV with three contactable professional references, a cover letter and your salary history. Applications
which do NOT include ALL of these elements will NOT be considered.
The application should be addressed to:
Director of Human Resource
Plot 72, Block 45B, New Bagamoyo Road - Victoria
PO Box 9170
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Apply Online Through
send the application through email at: SautiTZApplications@jhpiego.org
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. The closing date for applications is after two weeks
from first appearance of this Advert.
Caution to applicants:
There have been some bogus job adverts online [purported to be from Jhpiego] requiring candidates to apply through some email addresses of public domains e.g. Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail etc. Kindly note:
SautiTZApplications@jhpiego.org is the address to use all the time. Please ignore any of those adverts. We also don’t charge any application fee nor solicit any meetings; if shortlisted you will get an official call to come to our office. In the event you suspect any irregularity, kindly write to the Director of Human Resource through