Research Assistants (12 Posts) - NIMR MwanzaEMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
The National Institute for Medical Research (NIMR) is a corporate body established by an Act of parliament No.23 of 1979 with mandate to: carry out medical research, coordinate medical research and promote the use of research findings.
1.2 Purpose of the Position:
The National Institute for Medical Research (NIMR) Mwanza Centre in collaboration with Universities of Oxford and Glasgow is conducting a study that aims at evaluating an integrated community-based intervention model of Skillful Parenting and Agribusiness training implemented by Investing in Children and Our Societies (ICS), a local non-government organization operating in the Lake zone.
The integrated intervention is an effort to reduce child maltreatment and improve child wellbeing by increasing parents' knowledge of child development, developing their communication skills, effective age-appropriate parenting practices and involving them in agriculture to mitigate poverty.
NIMR Mwanza is therefore seeking to recruit experienced, committed and motivated Tanzanians to fill the following vacant positions:
Research Assistants (12 Posts)
2.3 Scope of Responsibilities:
Research Assistants report to the Research Coordinator/Manager
2.4 Responsibilities for Research Assistant:
· Carry out study activities in line with the research protocol and ethical procedures
· Conduct recruitment and informed consent procedures with participating families
· Conducting data collection interviews with participating adults and teens using electronic tablets
· Conduct early childhood development and home observation assessments with participating families
· Ensuring that data collection is done with high integrity
· Ensuring the correct and safe capturing of data
· Ensuring the safe and correct storage of data
· Following referral protocols for child protection and safety
· Produce daily report of the study data collection to the research Manager
· Report any unexpected event that is study related to the research Manager.
2.5 Knowledge, skills and abilities required:
· A bachelors’ degree from a recognized university.
· Excellent interpersonal/human relation skills.
· Excellent written and oral communication skills in Swahili, English.
· Excellent written and oral communication in Sukuma language
· Experience with working quantitative data collection in particular the use of psychometric questionnaires
· Experience conducting surveys with vulnerable adults and children (ages 10-17 years)
· Experience working with electronic data collection tools such as tablets
· Commitment to working as part of a dynamic research team
Mode of remuneration will be for each day that the employee is assigned to NIMR.
3.1 Duty station:
Duty station for the successful candidate will be conducting data collection in hinyanga region for a period of 6 weeks (1 and half months)
Deadline for application will be 19th August 2016 at 5 pm. Shortlisted candidates will be contacted for further information. If not contacted one week after the deadline, you should consider yourself un-successful.
No refund/renumeration will be paid to those invited for the interview.
A Successful candidate (after interview) will be offered an employment contract lasting for Six weeks (one and half months)
6.0 General conditions:
Ø Application letters should be written in English.
Ø Applicants should indicate three reputable referees with their reliable contacts.
Ø Applicants must attach their detailed relevant certified copies of academic certificates.
Ø Application letters should be attached with curriculum vitae not more than three pages.
Ø Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Ø Note that NIMR is an equal opportunity employer.
Apply to: The Centre Director,
NIMR Mwanza Research Centre,
Box 1462 Mwanza.