Research Assistants: Short Term Position for Baseline Data Collection
Position Type: Temporary.
Positions Available: 30
Locations: Misungwi, Mwanza
CUHAS-Bugando in collaboration with Mwanza Region and Misungwi District Health Management Teams, and in partnership with University of Calgary (UofC), Agriteam Canada, Save the Mothers (STM), the Canadian Pediatric Society (CPS) and Mbarara University of Science and Technology (MUST) are planning to conduct a Household Survey as part of its baseline assessment in Mama na Mtoto (MnM) project.
This is one of the initiatives supported through the Department of Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development (DFATD)/Global Affairs Canada’s (GAC) Partnerships for Strengthening MNCH (PS-MNCH) program. The project’s goal is to contribute to reductions in maternal and child mortality in Mwanza region. The project is complemented by an implementation research initiative which is supported through the International Development Research Centre’s (IDRC)- Innovating for Maternal and Child Health in Africa (IMCHA) program.
Source::: MKAGUZI BLOG
Terms of Reference:
CUHAS is conducting a household rural survey and is seeking Research Assistants (RAs) to join the research team to conduct household interviews in rural areas using tablet computers. The hiring process will consist of a computer-based test, personal interview with a selection committee.
Based on the results of a computer-based test and an in-person interview, eligible applicants will be invited to attend a pre-survey training beginning in late August. Individuals will not be considered for hiring until after they have successfully completed the scheduled training. Data collection will begin early in September and will last for an estimated three to four weeks.
Role: RAs will explain the surveys and obtain informed consent from participants. They will conduct interviews and record answers and copy information from child health cards onto a tablet computer application. They will weigh and measure the height of children, and carry interview supplies to-and-from all households included in the sample. RAs will report to and be supervised by field supervisors and the research coordination team. Successful applicants will be expected to have their own rain gear (gum boots, umbrellas) appropriate shoes, and clothes suitable for working in rural areas.
· Must have a bachelor’s degree from a formally recognized university. Diploma holders with at least one-year field research experience may apply.
· Must have proficient computer skills including familiarity with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel and PowerPoint); familiarity with tablet computer or smartphone applications is an asset
· Prior experience with data collection is an added asset
· Demonstrated accurate and efficient data entry using computers is considered an asset; an in person computer proficiency test will be required as part of the interview process
· Must be physically fit and willing and able to walk long distances, carrying a back-pack containing research items including a weighing scale.
· Must be comfortable and willing to work in rural areas and be sensitive to the confidentiality and privacy of rural communities; prior experience working in rural areas is an asset
· Must be fluent reading, writing and speaking in Swahili and English with excellent communication skills in both languages. Fluency in Sukuma will be an added advantage.
· Must be flexible. Candidates may be required to work long hours, holidays and weekends at times where necessary
· Overnight stays in rural communities may be required
· The candidate should bring all original documents at the time of interview.
Candidates should include in their application contact information (day phone and email preferred) for two references, which may be academic or professional.
How to apply: Interested candidates should send their applications by hand to Bugando Building Complex 4th floor room D406 or by email to the Mama na Mtoto (MnM) Project Coordinator: email@example.com AND Principal Investigator (PI): firstname.lastname@example.org. Please ensure your cover letter (hand written) and CV directly addresses each of the above qualifications.
Please note that, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Application Closing date will be 16th August, 2016 4pm.
Source::: MKAGUZI BLOG