PROJECT ACCOUNTANT POSITION
OUR MISSION: CHILDREN BY CHOICE NOT CHANCE
The Accountant will support the Finance Lead in performance of accounting and financial management support to the organisation, ensuring that appropriate systems, procedures and controls are in place and duly followed to support the continued growth of the organisation. S/he will ensure availability of timely, accurate complete financial information for purposes of analysis, audit and or decision making at all times.
The post involves travel within Tanzania and internationally.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
• FINANCIAL MANAGEMENT AND REPORTING
• Review centre incomes/Service numbers report against support documentation and posting them to SUN
• Review staff advances request against approved project activity plans and budget and organisational policy considerations.
• Prepare donor financial reports in line with donor reporting requirements and standards in the absence of project accountant
• Support the coordination of the financial audit, preparation of statutory accounts and subsequent annual reports for EMT and MSI:
• Processes and monitors trade receivable transactions including posting invoices, reconciling accounts receivable ledger, resolving uncollected amounts, and/or monitoring aging reports
• Processes supplier invoices including verifying and/or obtaining payment approval, matching purchase orders and receiving reports, and addressing exceptions
• Processes and monitors account payable disbursements: recalculating invoices, reviewing account codes for accuracy, and verifying supporting documents and data
• Process employee retirements of imprests and expense claims, including the checking of supporting documentation, reconciling receipt information, reviewing for policy compliance, posting data, and issuing statements to staff of staff debtor balances every month.
• Performs internal audit sort-of reviews of the centres and outreach teams, documenting his/her work and supporting the visited teams to ensure full compliance with organizational policies and best practice
• Performs month end procedures to ensure a smooth period end closure.
• Maintains supporting work papers for general ledger for accrued expenses at year-end.
• Prepares, maintains, and/or revises customized templates/reports and/or spread sheets relating to project overhead contributions, al ledger transactions, purchase order status tracking, prepayment amortisation and leases.
• Provides direction, work coordination, and training to other Accounting Technicians, assisting with more difficult and complex problems as needed
• Performs general office/clerical support duties such as responding to telephone inquiries, filing
• Manage daily bank transactions. Ensure that payments are processed, proper endorsement, and distributes cheques
• Ensure that all statutory requirements are met on time i.e. PAYE, Pension and Worker’s Compensation etc:
• Ensure all financial transactions are in line with MST policies and procedures, sound accounting principles and MSI partnership standards
• Support Deputy Finance Director in ensuring timely preparation of annual operational and capital budgets, performing revisions where appropriate
• Monitor expenditure trends and provide timely advice and explanation on potential over or under spends to programme managers and senior management:
• Capacity build project and field staff with budgeting and financial management skills essential to running their projects/centres.
• INFORMATION SYSTEMS AND INTERNAL CONTROLS
• Provide technical financial staff training where necessary : i.e. On- the- job -training ,through coaching or formal short courses facilitated by managers themselves to develop skills and knowledge
• Other responsibilities as required by supervisor or due to change in role though change in organisational changes.
If you feel that you are able to meet the requirements and you are motivated enough to be part of the team, please send your applications including a cover letter detailing your suitability and why you are interested in this post to the address below:
Director of Human Resources and Administration
Marie Stopes Tanzania
11 Kinyonga Street
P. O. Box 7072, Dar Es Salaam.