The Mwanza Intervention Trials Unit (MITU)based at the National Institute for Medical Research campus in Mwanza, Tanzania is a collaborative research unit of the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine and the National Institute for Medical Research (NIMR). The mission of MITU is to contribute to improving health through the development and evaluation of interventions against infections, cancer and other health problems by conducting research, including clinical trials, to the highest international standards. MITU aims to enhance the capacity to carry out such research in Tanzania and to contribute to the translation of research findings into health policy. The Unit is now inviting applications from motivated and suitably qualified candidates to fill the following position that will be based at NIMR campus, Mwanza.
The successful applicant will have proven technical experience in ICT and website management, and the ability to be proactive, working both independently and as part of a team.
The ICT Officer has responsibility for the overall implementation, development and management of the ICT function within MITU.
· To develop and implement efficient and effective ICT systems within MITU and manage the running of these systems.
· To identify resources (human and other) required to provide effective on-going support for the ICT systems within MITU.
· To ensure that the computing environment meets global standards of ICT to consistently support the Unit’s research activity.
B. MAIN DUTIES
Networking & Telephony
· Be familiar with the network operating system and all hardware and software used within MITU
· Oversee the planning and implementation of additions, deletions and major modifications to the supporting ICT infrastructure.
· Manage the administration of the LAN and monitor and report Internet usage.
· Provide and safe keep network accounts and passwords as required
· Oversee the administration and maintenance of the ICT infrastructure, and direct MITU staff on usage.
· Manage and develop upgrades to MITU’s computers, network and telephone system.
· Develop and update standard operating procedures (SOPs) for ICT and ensure that all users are aware of and follow these SOPs.
· Develop and implement policies and procedures for computer systems operations and development
· Review and update the MITU ICT policies and procedures manual on a regular basis
· Identify and implement network security.
· Monitor and document security of all technology and advise MITU management of security breach and/or change in password or security status
· Ensure authorisation and access restrictions for ICT systems are implemented, monitored and reviewed effectively.
· Ensure all ICT systems in MITU are compliant with all software and hardware licensing requirements
· Ensure that the physical and logical security of MITU ICT assets is maintained at the optimum level.
· Undertake all troubleshooting, systems backups, archiving, and disaster recovery and provide expert support when necessary.
· Plan, organize, direct, control and evaluate the operations of the ICT section
· Work with colleagues within MITU to implement internal systems and databases.
· Troubleshoot hardware, software and network operating system
· Oversee the administration and maintenance of computer stations and software for MITU training programmes and the Lab Systems and identify additional support if necessary.
· Give guidance on ICT policy and best practice in using communication equipment
Help Desk Administration
· Respond to all help desk (remote) activities and desk support activities and resolve and/or escalate issues in a timely fashion.
· Interact with colleagues at all levels to help resolve ICT-related issues.
· Build and maintain vendor relationships and manage the purchase of hardware and software products.
· Maintain current and accurate inventory of technology hardware, software and resources
· Ensure that company assets are maintained responsibly and provide induction to staff on the day-to-day maintenance of ICT equipment.
Website Management & Maintenance
· Responsible of maintenance and development of MITU website
· Ensure website is functioning properly and is available to users.
· Monitor website performance in term of loading speed, accessibility and availability in the search engines and do the proper optimization to improve performance.
· Report technical problems or issues which need management attention
· Update the website with new information which has been approved by the MITU management
· Communicate with the website host on issues concerning website and email services
· Plan for future changes to the website due to changes in technology and advise the management
· Effectively communicate relevant ICT-related information to colleagues throughout the unit.
· Liaise with services providers, consultants and vendors, managing their contracts and advising the organisation on their performance.
· Initiate and implement improvements in all areas of ICT as assigned by senior staff.
· Participate in project developments and proposals to ensure ICT components are appropriate and accurately budgeted.
· Provide direction in IT policy formulation, implementation and revisions.
· Plan and monitor the annual work plan of the ICT department to ensure it supports the strategic aims of MITU.
· Meet with managers to discuss system requirements, specifications, costs and timelines
· Contribute to the process to identify, hire and manage information systems personnel and contractors as and when required
· Make recommendations about the acquisition of technology resources
· Research current and potential resources and services
Other Key Activities
· Work independently to manage the ICT support demands within MITU
· Provide information and advice to colleagues
· Induct new colleagues in ICT systems and procedures
· Oversee the training component in new technologies MITU acquires and implements.
· Contribute to the development of the website and its administration.
· Maintain up-to-date knowledge and expertise in ICT
· To collaborate with MITU staff and staff from MITU partner organisations.
· To undertake such other tasks as may reasonably be expected by MITU senior staff.
· To establish and agree objectives for the year and monitor these through ongoing supervision.
· To initiate and recommend improvements to the day-to-day running of the MITU ICT office.
· Promote MITU, its core values and services, and play a positive role in the delivery of its day-to-day operations and strategic goals.
HOW TO APPLY.......
Mode of application (email to Recruitment@mitu.or.tz )
- Letter of application with details of how you meet the essential and desirable criteria and your reasons for wanting to join MITU
- Please include a daytime mobile telephone number and e-mail contact details
- Curriculum vitae (CV) including names and addresses of two referees (one must be from your most recent employer or training institution).
- Copies of all relevant certificates and qualifications.
Closing date for applications
- Applications received later than 7th October 2016 will not be considered
- You will be informed by email if you are selected for interview
- Interviews will be held either during the week of 10th or 17th October 2016 at the NIMR Mwanza Centre, Isamilo, Mwanza and may be conducted by telephone if necessary.