JOB DESCRIPTION: PROJECT ACCOUNTANT
Organizational Profile: Agape AIDS Control Programme (AACP)was established on 24th of January, 2006 as a CBO working to cover Shinyanga Region and later registered as an NGO on 24th June, 2009 by the Ministry of Community Development, Gender and Children and was issued with the Reg. 00NGO/00003233 under the NGOs Act of 2002, 12 (2) Tanzania Laws. AACP is a Non-partisan, Non-Religious and Non-profit Organization geared at promoting human rights and Community Development. AACP was established with the aim of preventing and controlling HIV/AIDS and its effects in the community.
In 2009, AACP came to realize that violation of Human Rights in the Community was a Problem. Since then, AGAPE started working on four core programs which are; HIV/AIDS control and prevention, child and youth protection, legal aid services provision, and Prevention of Gender Based Violence (GBV), child marriages and early pregnancies. In 2014, AACP add another component to its core works of Skilful parenting to ensure teenage mothers are trained on the best ways to raise their babies and reduce child abuse cases in the communities.
Organizational Mission: To empower the Community to challenge Human Rights violation by strengthening their capacity to improve their resources of Income and reduce poverty, HIV/AIDS transmission, GBV prevalence, Child abuse and advance its mitigation measures “and the
Organizational Vision: To see the Community is free from Human Rights Violation and discrimination where Orphans and Vulnerable Children, Domestic Workers, Women, Youth, PLWHAs and the Community at large live harmonious happy life and Dignity”.
Project Description: In April 2016, Agape AIDS Control Programme secured funding for three years (2016-2018) from terre des homes Netherlands to implement a “Stop Child Marriages Project in Kishapu and Shinyanga Rural District”. This project aims to reduce child marriages in 20 villages in Shinyanga Rural and Kishapu Districts with 50% in the period 2016- 2018. Main strategies are SRHR clubs for adolescents, massive awareness raising in the villages, a pilot on ’Goats for Education’, and training of government local leaders at ward and village level, who are responsible for the implementation of the Law of the Child Act 2009. Join the national level advocacy for changing the minimum age of marriage in Tanzania (currently 15 years for girls and 18 years for boys), as this is unconstitutional according to the clause on nondiscrimination.
Overall Objective of the Project: To reduce child marriage in 20 villages in Shinyanga Rural and Kishapu Districts with 50% in the period 2016- 2018.
Specific Objectives of the Project are;-
1: Children: To empower 400 child brides and other children to renounce and report child marriages and to rightfully access legal, educational, SRHR, life skills education and counseling services (in 20 villages).
2: Families and Community: To nurture engagement and commitment among community elders, traditional healers, parents and youth to stop child marriages in 20 villages in 2016-2018
3: Government: To strengthen child protection systems from village level to district level to ensure implementation of relevant child protection legislation, to reduce incidences of child marriages and to promote Adolescent SRHR (Child Act 2009, Education Act 1978/2004, Health policy).
4: Law Enforcers: Law enforcers and judiciary (20) have the capacity to handle child abuse cases and provide timely judgment
5: Civil Society Organization (CSO): To jointly advocate at national level for change of the Marriage Act No 5 of 1971 on the minimum age for marriage, and upholding of the Education Act and SOSPA to promote access to education for girls who have given birth.
Purpose of the Post: Project Accountant supposes to be the part of the team responsible for maintaining efficient and accurate accounting duties.
Roles and Responsibilities/Scope of Work:
● Get involved in receiving, process all invoices, issuing checks, entering cash receipts and disbursements data into various forms and templates, also process expense forms and requests for payments from staff.
● Disburses funds from the office's petty cash fund and prepares requests for reimbursement of the fund.
● Ensure and handle external and internal audits.
● Ensure the timely reporting of all monthly/Quarterly financial information.
● Ensure the accurate and timely processing of positive pay transactions.
● Ensure monthly and quarterly Bank Compliance activities are performed in a timely and accurate manner.
● Collaborate with the other departments in the organization to support overall department goals and objectives.
● Assist in development and implementation of new financial procedures and features to enhance the workflow of the financial department.
● Deal with daily transactions for the petty cash and ensure that reconciliations are completed on a weekly basis.
● To work as part of a team to achieve the departmental standards.
● To be willing to support colleagues and team members with professional problems, devoting time to impart expertise, infusing confidence and expressing positive expectations regarding the team’s and entity’s performance.
● To match invoices from suppliers with purchase orders, to ensure prices and costs are agreed in advance.
● To ensure the optimum utilization of fund.
● To prepare monthly bank reconciliation statements
● To prepare journal vouchers
● To review the Financial Regulations and Accounting Manual and recommend amendments for improvement
● To manage the accounting systems
● To keep in safe custody under lock and key all accountable documents
● To maintain and update accountable/document register
● To maintains fixed assets register and calculation of depreciations
● To make payment of salaries and other remunerations
● To perform any other financial duties as assigned by Programme coordinator or Director
● Comply with the Organization Child protection Policy, Gender policy, Financial Policy, Statement of Commitment to child protection and adherence to Tanzanian laws and that of our partners (Terre Des Hommes Netherlands and Dutch Government)
● Maintain and promote good image of the organization with its associates, including donors, clients, partners and Local Government Authorities
Additional Job Requirements:
● Ability to work independently, with little supervision.
● Ability to effectively direct and supervise.
● Knowledge and ability in the use of software applications (e.g. quick books, Ms Access, PowerPoint, etc.).
● Ability to effectively use a modern automated financial management system.
● Ability to work effectively under stressful conditions.
● Ability to exercise initiative and sound judgment and to react with discretion under varying conditions.
Experience & Qualifications
● Bachelor degree in Accountancy, Finance, or Advanced Diploma in Accountancy from recognized and reputable university
● Candidate with CPA will be added advantage
● Knowledge of Financial Management Rules and Regulations
● 2 – 3 years working experience in an NGO sector as Accountant
● Ability to work under a minimum supervision
● Knowledge and experience of using QuickBooks is mandatory
● Communicating orally in a clear manner and adjusting one’s use of language to the receiver’s level. Showing one absorbs and understands important (non) verbal information and asking further questions when necessary.
● Maintaining high ethical standards both personally and professionally, being incorruptible.
Working with others
● Taking responsibility to build and maintain positive relationships and valuing the opinion of others.
● Adaptable receptive to new idea, willing and able to adapt/change one’s behaviour and/or views to changing circumstances in order to attain a set goal
● Having insight in one’s identity, values, strengths and weaknesses, interests and ambitions and taking action in order to enhance one’s competences where and when possible.
Job related Competencies:
● Distancing oneself from daily routine, exploring ideas for the future, regarding facts from a distance and seeing them in a broader context or in the longer term
● Providing group/team with direction and guidance and encourages cooperation between group/team members in order to attain an objective.
● Developing and maintaining relations, alliances and coalitions within and outside the organization and using them in order to obtain information, support and cooperation.
Planning and organizing
● Setting goals and priorities, indicating the required actions, time and resources to achieve those goals
● Controlling the progress of employees’ processes, tasks, or activities and of one’s own work and responsibilities
● Expressing ideas and opinions by way of appropriately structured documents in clear, grammatical correct writing, employing language and terminology tailored to the reader.
General Application Instructions to all Applicants: Interested applicants should submit their applications and credentials including CV, and copy of academic certificates/recognitions in (word or PDF format) electronically stating the post of interest in the subject heading of your email address and address to the Executive Director, Agape AIDS Control Programme (AACP), P.O.BOX 2189 Shinyanga, email; email@example.com by no later than 25th April, 2016. A successful candidate will be paid 1,100,000 Tshs as a gross salary per month. Only shortlisted candidates shall be contacted for interview. Qualified female candidates are encouraged to apply