Job Vacancy – Project Manager Faecal Sludge Management
BORDA e.V. (Bremen Overseas Research & Development Association) is a German specialist organization active in the fields of poverty alleviation, sustainable protection of natural resources and the strengthening of social structures. BORDA was established as a non-profit organization in 1977 by concerned citizens from Bremen in Germany with assistance from the Bremen Overseas Museum, various institutes of Bremen Universities, and trade and industry enterprises as well as with support from Bremen’s Senate. The goal was to adapt certain forms of renewable energy to better serve poverty alleviation efforts and to facilitate decentralised development projects. The regional BORDA office in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania is implementing programs in the sanitation sector in urban and peri-urban areas since 2010 with expertise in City Sanitation Planning, Wastewater Management, Solid Waste Management and Capacity Development.
Region: Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Occupational fields: Project Management, Capacity Development, Fund Raising
Location: Mikocheni, Dar es Salaam
Contract Length: 3 years, renewable subject to satisfactory performance and funding availability
Faceal Sludge Management Project coordination, Capacity Development, Fundraising
The terms of reference for the vacancy at BORDA comprises typically of
- Project Management
BORDA Tanzania is granted by the Human Development Innovation Fund for the scale-up project „DEWATS (Decentralized Wastewater Treatment Solutions) for Dar“, which is proposed to improve the general health and incomes of the urban poor residents of Dar es Salaam through improved access to adequate sanitation, promotion of sound hygienic and sanitation practices, awareness creation and linking the urban poor to sewerage treatments plants and markets for sanitation products. DEWATS for Dar follows a market-driven approach and aims at establishing sustainable business models for sanitation service provision in demanding urban environments.
The project will have 5 significant features:
· Participatory project planning to achieve equity within the community regarding access to sanitation facilities and services.
· Establishment of a management panel with various relevant sector stakeholders
· Professional design and workmanship to deliver long-lasting sanitation facilities
· Capacity development and continuous training of the service providers to ensure effective and efficient operation and maintenance of the sanitation facilities.
· Full cost recovery of the operation and maintenance of sanitation facilities from user fees, with inclusion of a revolving fund for capital maintenance.
Responsibilities of the Project Manager:
· Grant management and project implementation and coordination.
· Developing, monitoring and optimizing of business model for sanitation service providers.
· Facilitation of the development and construction of the decentralised waste water treatment facilities with BORDA's engineering department.
· Implementation of social measures such as community mobilisation, sensitisation, awareness creation and sanitation marketing with BORDA's social department.
· Correspondences between the funders (HDIF) and other grant beneficiaries.
· Public and Government Relations for the project.
· Mobilisation of additional funds through community contribution towards each demonstration site.
· Coordination of research, reviews and development of IEC materials for the project.
· Organization of all Project related meetings and events, including but not limited to Steering Committee meetings and workshops;
2. Development, organization, and facilitation of Capacity Development measures as Coordinator for the Training centre:
· development, scheduling, moderation and facilitation of trainings and workshops for the waste water and solid waste sector of the region in cooperation with expert teams at BORDA for target groups such as government officials and institutions, as well as service providers, masons, and other NGOs;
· Develop a regional CD strategy
· organization/facilitation of training of trainers;
· development and improving of training packages, methods and IEC-material;
· promotion of the trainings.
3. Fundraising activities
· screening of calls for proposals by donors in the respective field;
· organizing and writing proposals;
· increasing funds by researching and targeting donors whose criteria match BORDA's aims and activities.
Reporting to: Regional Coordinator
Employment type: Contractual
· For candidates with a bachelor's degree: a minimum of seven years of professional programme management, supervision and reporting experience;
· For candidates with an advanced/master's degree: a minimum of five years of professional programme management, supervision and reporting experience;
· Experience in managing multi stakeholder projects;
· Has worked in Africa on sustainable and inclusive urban development;
· Experience in developing, implementing and monitoring project documents in the area of FSM;
· Experience in urban planning, management, local governance, housing, slum upgrading, land, and climate resilient development;
· Experience managing and supervising teams including monitoring, verifying work packages and applying results based performance indicators;
· Experience in donor relations
· Experience in Capacity Development, organization, moderation, and facilitation of trainings and workshops
Required general skills: Supervision and team leading, excellent reporting skills, attention to detail, deadline-oriented, confidentiality, good time management,
Languages: Excellent command of spoken and written English, Swahili will be an advantage
Computer skills: Excellent knowledge of MS Office
Personal Skills: Excellent written and oral communication skills.
Creative, flexible and capable of working in a fast moving environment. Team player, able to work in a multi-cultural environment. Can work independently and autonomous,
Starting date: immediately
Applications for this position should be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org before 30 April, 2016
Please send your letter of application, CV including current contact of three references (one of whom should be the last employer) and other relevant certificates, transcripts and documents.
In the case of equal suitability, ability and professional achievement, female candidates will be given preference, provided that the personal qualities of another candidate are not more appropriate for the position.