Position Title: Health Information Systems Technical Officer
Location: Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Reports To: MCSP/TZ Senior HIS Advisor
BACKGROUND The Maternal and Child Survival Program (MCSP) is a global U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) cooperative agreement to introduce and support high-impact health interventions in 24 priority countries with the ultimate goal of ending preventable maternal and child deaths (EPCMD) within a generation. MCSP is implemented by Jhpiego in partnership with John Snow, Inc. (JSI), Save the Children, ICF International, Results for Development, PATH, PSI, and CORE Group. Working closely with the USAID mission, Tanzania government, non-governmental organizations, local communities and partner agencies, MCSP will support the implementation of evidence-based public health interventions at scale to achieve the goals of EPCMD. To achieve this, MCSP will engage government, policymakers, private sector leaders, health care providers, civil society, faith-based organizations and communities in adopting and accelerating proven approaches to address the major causes of maternal, newborn and child mortality and to improve the quality of health services from household to hospital. MCSP/TZ tackles these issues through approaches that focus on strengthening health care, health systems, and information systems. John Snow, Inc. (JSI) leads MCSP/Tanzania’s work in health information systems (HIS) strengthening, specifically around the development of an Enterprise Architecture to streamline national electronic reporting systems for all Ministry of Health and Social Welfare (MOHSW) sectors.
The MOHSW has recently developed an eHealth strategy and embarked on an initiative to improve the responsiveness and effectiveness of its operations by streamlining and improving communications within its Information Communication and Technology (ICT) systems. A Senior Health Information Advisor is sought to play a coordinating role in facilitating this work.
The technical officer primary responsibility will be to expedite and facilitate MOHSW/ICT, and eHealth Steering Committee’s work to implement the eHealth Strategy. The technical officer will be an integral member of the MCSP team and support the senior HIS Advisor in his/her roles and responsibilities to support the ICT department.
The Health Information System (HIS) Technical officer provides technical assistance to HIS-strengthening activities implemented by MCSP in collaboration with the Senior HIS Advisor, the ICT team at MOHSW, and other technical units within the project.
Specific responsibilities will include, but not be limited to, the following:
1. Provide direct support for and coordination of all technical assistance activities for implementation of HIS project in country by
o Collaborating with and support international advisors and MOHSW technical staff
o Coordinate relationship with the client team
o Monitor project progress, team relationships, and communications
o Provide timely feedback to Snr. HIS Advisor and/or on any activity and/or relationship issues/challenges/achievements
2. In collaboration with the Sn. HIS Advisor and other technical staff, MCSP partners, and government counterparts, support the development of a comprehensive HIS automation strategy and framework.
3. In collaboration with HIS team and MOHSW ICT staff and partners, conduct research and analysis on existing IT solutions and projects in supporting health MIS implementation in Tanzania, and support the development of sustainable long-term automated MIS solutions to meet the country information system needs.
4. With the support from Snr. HIS Advisor, coordinate with all MOHSW partner organizations to ascertaining system requirements such as program functions, output requirements, input data acquisition and system techniques and controls.
5. Support the MOHSW/ICT department with an inventory of all e-health projects in Tanzania
6. Provide summary documents and reports on HIS technical assistance (TA) activities as requested.
7. Perform any other duty/duties as may be assigned by supervisor or management.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
• Minimum of bachelor degree in information systems, or information technology or related technical area, or a combination of education and relevant experience.
• Excellent skills in use of technology to support information system, data analysis and management
• Three or more years’ experience in strengthening management information systems or MIS operations management in any reputable organization or project
• Prefer experience implementing/supporting information systems related to supply chain, HR, service delivery and financial system.
• Experience in system design, and implementations
• Experience conducting technical training sessions for professionals.
• A proven ability to work as part of a team and to be self-managing.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills.
• Effectiveness working with culturally and professionally diverse teams
Mode of Application:
Please send your application letter and CV to email@example.com no later than August 18th, 2015.
MCSP is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer committed to workplace diversity. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities for all qualified applicants and employees without regard to age, race, color, national origin, ancestry, creed, religion, gender, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, sexual preference, genetic information, political affiliation, or protected veteran status in any employment decisions.