Place of work/Location:
September 30th, 2015
Fixed term contract; unlimited term if extended
English & Kiswahili
November 1st, 2015
Chairman Jambo Bukoba Germany
Duration of Initial Contract:
Please apply in English using your CV and covering letter as a single document, including your salary expectations for this role.
Jambo Bukoba is a NGO, founded in Germany in 2008, and works in collaboration with Tanzanian Local Government.
Jambo Bukoba supports children and young people in Bukoba, Tanzania, by teaching them about the prevention of HIV and AIDS, by encouraging equal opportunities for girls and by helping to improve the quality of education. We create a framework for teaching sport and the development of children through games, because we believe that sport is the best means of making children and young people strong and healthy so that they can cope with the harsh realities of daily life and so that they learn to behave responsibly towards themselves and others as a preparation for life.
During 5-day training sessions called “Life Skills through Games“ sports teachers learn games which can help educate pupils about HIV and AIDS and further develop their social skills. In addition general teaching skills such as planning and structuring a Games lesson and how to conduct a lesson are a fundamental part of the training. The programme is the fruit of eight months’ work by Sebastian Rockenfeller, who is a specialist in Sport and Development and who was commissioned to work for Jambo Bukoba by the German Foreign Office and the German Olympic Federation in conjunction with the German Sports University in Cologne.
“Life Skills through Games” is designed to meet the needs and conditions on the ground in Tanzania.
It is now the basis for the work of Jambo Bukoba in the area around the city of Bukoba. The handbook “Life Skills through Games” brings together both the teaching philosophy and the practical requirements of the teacher training programme. Further, we continue to train sports teachers through our workshops and provide schools with sports equipment.
The school competitions (Bonanza) are a very special spectacle for the children. They occur in the individual districts against three other schools and play the "Jambo Games". We place great emphasis on equality and in particular the strengthening of the girls. A team is made out of 30 students, of which at least 50% are girls. Each Bonanza includes 120 participating students. The finalists of the districts qualify for the finals in the city of Bukoba.
All schools, which participate in the Jambo Bukoba Final Bonanza, get a school renovation. This can be a renovation of classrooms, finishing of teacher offices or the building of libraries. 2013, Jambo Bukoba was renovating seven schools in seven districts of the Kagera Region.
To ensure that the M&E activities will develop a significant effect, we will concentrate this extensive
M&E activities only in one out of 8 districts: Bukoba rural (exclusive Bukoba town), with approximately 140 primary schools in an area of 80 km². On a quarterly basis the impact of the M&E activities will be compared to the other 7 districts.
Under the overall guidance of the Jambo Bukoba management (Germany and Tanzania) and direct supervision by the Project Manager, the M&E Officer will be responsible for the monitoring, evaluating and ensuring high quality and timely inputs, and for ensuring that the project maintains its strategic vision and that its activities result in the achievement of its intended outputs in a cost effective and timely manner.
The M&E Officer will be responsible for designing and implementing the M&E Officer activities of the Project, for assisting the Project Manager in preparing Quarterly/Annual reports on project progress and for monitoring the project activities on a regular basis, developing and maintaining the daily running of the Project. He/she will be responsible for the collection & analysis of different data in relation to the project activities.
The M&E Officer works in close collaboration with the project teams in Germany and Tanzania, Government officials, schools and local communities.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Develop and strengthen monitoring, inspection and evaluation procedures in primary schools
• Monitor all project activities, expenditures and progress towards achieving the project output
• Recommend further improvement of the logical frame work
• Develop monitoring and impact indicator for the project success
• Monitor and evaluate overall progress on achievement of results
• Monitor the sustainability of the project's results
• Provide feedback to the Project Manager on project strategies and activities
• Suggest strategies to the Project Management for improving the efficiency and effectiveness of the project by identifying bottlenecks in completing project activities and developing plans to minimize or eliminate such bottlenecks
• Report monthly, quarterly, half-yearly and annual progress on all project activities to the project management (Germany, Tanzania)
• Conduct capacity assessment on existing monitoring and evaluation system Develop indicators and a monitoring strategy for the project
• Provide inputs, information and statistics for quarterly, annual and other reports to Project management (Germany, Tanzania)
• Participate in annual project reviews (evaluation meeting) and planning workshops and assist the Project Manager in preparing relevant reports • Assist the project personnel with M&E tools and in supporting them in their use. Perform other duties as required
Measurable Outputs and Performance Indicators:
• Preparation of monthly M&E reports
• Assist the Project Manager in preparing other relevant reports
• Assist Project Manager in the preparation of reports on the findings and lessons learned from project innovations
• Assist Project Manager in preparing monthly and quarterly reports on project progress based on M&E reports on project activities
• Develop M&E system for the Project and for the government counterpart/stakeholders
• Prepare and maintain data base
• Oversee condition of Jambo Bukoba buildings, sport materials and practicing of Jambo Bukoba Games at school visits
• Advising sport teachers on how to improve and implement Jambo Bukoba in the daily school schedule
• Taking care of JB properties
• Demonstrates integrity by modelling the JB values and ethical standards Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of JB
• be a good ambassador of Jambo Bukoba in sports, gender issues, HIV/AIDS awareness and education
• Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
• Organization and accurately completes multiple tasks by establishing priorities while taking into consideration special assignments, frequent interruptions, deadlines, available resources and multiple reporting relationships
• Plans, coordinates and organizes workload while remaining aware of changing priorities and competing deadlines
• Establishes, builds and maintains effective working relationships with staff and stakeholders to facilitate the provision of maximum support
Knowledge Management and Learning:
• In-depth knowledge on M&E and development issues
• Excellent knowledge of monitoring and the application of methodology: good understanding of capacity assessment methodologies; excellent ability to identify significant capacity building opportunities;
• Excellent communication skills (written and oral): Sensitivity to and responsiveness to all partners, respectful and helpful relations with donors, project staff, students, teachers, governmental employees
• Ability to lead implementation of new systems (business side), and affect staff behavioral/ attitudinal change
• Focuses on result for the JB project
• Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
• Demonstrates strong oral and written communication skills
• Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure
• Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities
• Responds positively to critical feedback and differing points of view
• Solicits feedback from staff about the impact of his/her own behavior Required Skills and Experience:
University Degree preferably in Business Administration, Economics, Education or related field.
• At least 2 years of experience in the design and implementation of M&E in development projects implemented by national/international NGOs/UN bodies/ Government;
• Experience in designing tools and strategies for data collection, analysis and production of reports;
• Proven ICT skills, especially in the operating with Microsoft Office software;
• Expertise in analyzing data using statistical software; Strong facilitation skills.
Fluency in written and spoken Kiswahili and English.
If you need more information about Jambo Bukoba, please visit our Website www.jambo bukoba.com.
Please apply today to email@example.com if you believe that your qualifications and our offer fit!