LAWYERS’ ENVIRONMENTAL ACTION TEAM (LEAT)
Lawyers’ Environmental Action Team (LEAT) is a non-governmental organization, a public interest and not for profit making organization fostering sound environmental and natural resources management and protection in Tanzania. It deploys multiple tools and strategies toadvance its vision and mission including rigorous research, advocacy and public interest litigation on environmental and natural resources management. It is an organization that works closely with public interest spirited communities and organizations in ensuring that the environment and natural resources of our country are sustainably managed and protected.
The International Resources Group (IRG) has subcontracted LEAT to be a part in undertaking a national wide project on “Promoting Tanzania’s Environment Conservation and Tourism (PROTECT)”. A smooth and successful execution of the project requires hiring competent and versatile project accountant to be part of the implementing team.
Consequently, LEAT urgently invites applications from suitable, qualified and experienced candidates to apply the following position:
Program Accountant (1post)
- Process payments and invoices accurately and timely as per guiding procedures.
- Ensure accuracy of subsidiary books of accounts;
- Ensure prompt posting of transactions and balancing of books of accounts;
- Prepare required vouchers for payroll financial accounting, including salaries obligations, actual costs and salary disbursements to project staff;
- Maintain the integrity of the general ledger by ensuring that budgets, descriptions and codes are up to date and that the accounts are reconciled and cleared appropriately;
- Prepare project finance statements and schedules for audit purposes in accordance with the international Accounting Standards and international financial Reporting standards.
- Maintain the actual financial records in compliance with the accounting standards and principles.
- Perform accounting reconciliations and ensure all ledgers are closed as per fund policy and principles laid out.
- Undertake accurate and timely monthly, quarterly, and year-end closing.
- Prepare timely financial reimbursement requests from the Contractor;
- Submit necessary reports to the Financial and Grants Manager; and
- Perform any other duties as assigned to facilitate the implementation of the project.
Qualification and experience needed
- S/he should have an accounting degree or advanced diploma in accounting from an accredited university or college/Institute.
- S/he should have at least more than three years experience working in the accounting department in reputable organization or firm.
- S/he should have good communication and interpersonal skills and ability to work in a team.
- S/he should be able to process large volumes of transactions and prepare good project financial reports.
- Perform any other activity assigned to him/her by the Executive Director or his immediate supervisor
- Willingness to accept responsibility and be held accountable;
- Organizer, collegial, honest, creative, self-motivated, highly disciplined and able to work for longer hours;
- Good computer skills; and
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
LEAT will offer competitive salary package plus the opportunity to apply your energy and skills to archive the organizational goals.
If you think that you meet the described requirements for any of the above position please write to us and send an application letter explaining in detail how you qualify, enclosing a detailed CV, academic transcript and certificates, recommendation from reputable referees and contact telephone numbers by the 22nd of September, 2015. Recommendations as to the character and competence are a mandatory requirement.
All applications should be addressed to:
The Executive Director
Lawyers’ Environmental Action Team (LEAT)
Mazingira House, Mazingira Street
P. O Box 12605 Dar es Salaam firstname.lastname@example.org
NB: Send your applications through email@example.com.
All shortlisted applicants will be contacted for interview. If you won’t be contacted by the 25th day of September 2015 consider your application unsuccessful.